Yes, I know. 2017 has just started and everybody is thinking about dieting. But since I began the year rather sick, I haven’t started a diet myself and thought I could indulge this lovely cake and give in to my sugar craving.
It’s a simple cake to make with easy to find ingredients. Buttermilk is the key to how moist this cake is, and although you might finish mixing the batter thinking it’s not liquid enough, let it be! Buttermilk will work its magic. Also make sure butter and egg are room temperature cause this is usually a game changer for every cake you bake!
That being said , my last advice is : Don’t forget to save a few pieces for breakfast, this cake is a great option to start out the day!
- ½ cup (115gr) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
- ⅞ cup (200gr) + 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (220gr) (set aside ¼ cup (30gr) of this to toss with the blueberries
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups (250gr) fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk**
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Cream butter with lemon zest and ⅞ cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes.