This is a traditional Italian recipe, fresh and tasteful and so fast and easy to make! I made this Pesto to eat with integral pasta, but honestly this can go with sandwich, pizza, toast, bruschetta… If you want to eat it with pasta ,all you have to do is cook up some pasta (any kind) slather on the pesto and of course to top sprinkle some Parmesan, and you’re good to go.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (or Brazilian nuts or roasted and unsalted cashews)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan.
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Food processor or Blender
- Blend the basil leaves and the nuts very well.
- Add the garlic and Parmesan and pulse several times more. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady small stream (less olive oil will make a paste good for spreading on sandwiches and pizzas; more will make a sauce better for pastas and stirring into soup. Adding the olive oil slowly, while the processor is running, will help it emulsify and help keep the olive oil from separating. Occasionally stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Stir in some salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.