I’m a big sea food fan, and so is my fiancé and last week we had these very well prepared shrimps in a restaurant in Waregem and I immediately decided to make my own inspired version at home.
But when it comes to sea food, quality really matters specially if the star of the dish is the shrimp, so while we were still having lunch he came up with the brilliant idea of going to his best friend’s fish store, Viscentrale to buy some quality Tiger Shrimps.
And I must say I have no regrets! Good sea food doesn’t need much to taste great as long as it’s fresh and from a reliable source and the ones we had were a hit and I will definitely make them again!
I also prepared a delicious homemade onion mayonnaise to dip the shrimps in. And yes , homemade mayo is deadly simple to make and much more tasty and it goes amazingly well with this simple recipe that is full of flavour.
The best part is that once everything is prepared it can be served up in a matter of minutes! So let’s jump to the recipe:
- 12 Tiger Shrimps shelled and deveined
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or chilli flakes (you can add the pepper to taste)
- 2 tbsp. fresh finely chopped coriander
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon Slices
For the Mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt (and more to taste)
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Mayo:
- Mix well the egg, the yolk, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper , mixing until very well combined. With the motor still running,(you can make it in a blender or food processor), add the oil in a very slow, thin, steady stream, blending until it gets thick and smooth.
- Transfer the mayonnaise to a bowl and add the onion, parsley, and pepper , mix and taste. Add more salt to adjust if needed.
- Cover and chill while you prepare the shrimps.
For the Shrimps.
- Place the fresh shrimps (or thawed) in a large bowl, add the lemon juice, and let it marinade for at least half an hour.
- Heat a wok or non sticking pan over a high heat, and add the coconut oil, then the garlic, the cayenne pepper and stir-fry for a few seconds. Then, add the shrimps and stir-fry until they start to turn pink.When the shrimps have all turned pink, season with the salt and coriander and serve immediately with the mayo and some lemon slices.