I’ve never been a fan of spicy food, on the contrary, I’d always avoid them and the hot sauces because I was never willing to having my mouth on fire.
To me, the spiciness would steal the show and often take over on all the flavours a dish has to offer. But things change and although I’m still very intolerant to overly spicy dishes, I definitely learnt to appreciate what a little bit of hot pepper can offer to a dish. Always with moderation of course.
This beef stir fry is a great example of what I think is a delicious spicy dish, with complex Asian flavours. I made my own version of this beef stir fry, so be aware that this is not the original Chinese recipe, but I can guarantee it’s totally worth trying this recipe out.
- 150g rump steak cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp. white wine (for the marinade)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce (for the marinade)
- 1/2 carrot julienned
- 1/2 red pepper julienned
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 onion small thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 ginger knob peeled and grated
- 1/2 tbsp. oil (for the meat)
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce (veggies mix)
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. oyster sauce
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- For the Meat Marinade – Slice the beef into thin strips and add the soy sauce, white wine and let it marinade for at least 15 min.
- Cut your veggies (carrots, red pepper , onion and garlic) and have them ready to cook.
- Place a wok or a large frying pan over a high heat, when hot, add the oil, then when it is just smoking, toss in the meat and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until cooked through. Remove with a draining spoon and set aside. Add the sesame oil with the garlic, ginger and cayenne. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the vegetables and toss these around for another 30 seconds.
- Next, add in the remaining 1/2 tbsp. of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and fish sauce tossing the vegetables continuously until everything is well combined.
- Finally mix in the meat and serve immediately. You can sprinkle finely chopped parsley and sesame seeds on top for decoration.
Have all your ingredients prepared before you start cooking. This dish is very fast to make, it takes only a few minutes to to toss everything together and have your meal ready.